Miss Archita Panda is currently working as a Senior Executive, Human Resources at HSBC Software Development India Pvt. Ltd. She graduated from KIAMS in 2004. Let us hear what she has to say about her experiences in the corporate world.
- As an HR personnel what are the different things you could be working on, on a typical day?
What an HR professional works on depends on the industry her company belongs to as also the size and the culture of the company. For me, being in the central HR team means dealing with queries, running projects, making presentations, doing analysis and draft etc.
- Share with us some skills/behavioral traits of a good HR manager.
A good HR professional should have strong fundamental knowledge, ethics, integrity and values.
- If you were to pitch HR as a profession to fresh MBA graduates, what would you tell them?
Be practical, open to new ideas and stay connected to the fundamentals of HR. Understand the business you are in to be able to understand the people in your organization.
- Where do you see yourself five years down the line?
Five years down the line, I would like to head the HR function of a small to mid-sized company.
- Three things you like/dislike about your profession. What I like about my profession is the dynamism and the diversity in the job. My job gives me the authority to drive the organizational agenda by taking the right decisions and implementing them. What I dislike is that most HR professionals lack leadership qualities. They are good followers but poor leaders when it comes to leading the organization goals. Then, due to the nature of their job, they have to maintain the balance between the job requirement and inter-personal relationships, which is difficult at times. Also, many of us are keener on getting the job done rather than the right way to do it. There is also a lack of experienced HR professionals from whom you can learn.